Hand Tools

Subject:
The trouble with too many tools...

david weaver
Not talking about planes or stones. I can dump them quickly, but something that came up on another forum regarding holes in a bench.

I drilled my dog holes in my bench with a hand drill, two visual references and cheap spoon bits. They turned out fine other than the bottoms being a little rough (nobody has seen those bottoms, of course).

Another poster made a point that you could buy some expensive power auger bits and have a clean hole at the bottom (but that still ignores the issue of counterboring, which I needed to do due to the top thickness on my bench).

In getting rid of my router, and going through my router bits, I realize how many of those $50 type purchases I've made over the years, only to use an item once, and either forget that I have it, or have trouble finding it after its had a 5 year rest period. It's rare that I actually needed to buy those things, they just seemed like a good idea at the time, but it would've probably been faster to use what I had and spend less time looking for the "right tool".

If each of us went through our shop for a weekend, I wonder how many things we could dig out that we haven't used for five years, and that we don't really need. I still have tons of them from my initial foray into the hobby using mostly power tools.

With Christmas coming, and people in need, it may be a good time to liquidate some of that stuff and give the proceeds to someone in need.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081