Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: That seems a little extreme

david weaver
The burning, or the disposal of the router table in general?

I burned it only because it wasn't really worth anything, and I hate putting wood in the trash (i'm in the burbs). I made my table somewhat along the advice of pat warner, and it was flat and useful, and very plain. 2x4 base, laminated in some spots. Deck screws (pat wouldn't have approved of that) and bolts with washers elsewhere. It stayed flat over the 10 years that I had it and I believe the cost was about $30 to make it. The 7518 wasn't as cheap, and I recall the router plate being about $60, but I'm sure I got a sale deal on all of those things at the time.

Otherwise, there's so little that I keep a router for that the table doesn't make much sense to have. Even on kitchen cabinets, I've resented raising panels and making the door sticking with the bit set. I made a panel raising plane after I started this, and would much rather have used it, but it's one of those things where a few doors are done already with the bit set and the pattern is set in stone.

I think back at the things I've done with a router. The very first was some household door work, widening the opening for door hardware (my doors are old and won't fit standard hardware). I had a catch with a nice bosch plunger and spent a while soft-handing everything carefully to open the doors.

I did three more this year with a rasp in ten minutes.

I do still have a small tablesaw that I'm likely to keep only because I don't know any other good way to slot deep boxing (on moulding plantes) other than dovetails. I had a wing cutter for the router table, but never much liked using it.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081