Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Traditional Method
Response To:
Re: Traditional Method ()

david weaver
The reason people don't use something like a washita is lack of skill. Honing films are not better in any practical way, they aren't robust against contamination, they don't last as long, they require you to pretty much hone flat edged things or close, etc.

What they are good for is a beginner who doesn't know which way they're going yet.

A washita, on the other hand, takes some skill to get set up correctly, and then it takes a bit of skill to learn to set a plane so that you're not dependent on trying to take tiny thin shavings. In terms of edge quality, it's not a big deal to get a half thousandth shaving from a V11 iron that's sharpened on a washita. I'm not sure about A2 (having seen the voids at the edge), but most of my time sharpening with a washita has not centered around using A2.

I can't really tell a practical difference with V11, but that probably has something to do with not taking a million little shavings. I'd certainly rather have a ward iron, the iron that I made (which is just simple O1) or a good vintage stanley iron than V11. I couldn't convince a beginner of that via email (nor would i try), because they'll have all kinds of problems related to getting tools sharp and in how much time it takes. I personally am always gassed before the try plane or jack plane run out of sharpness, and the smoother is just a short wisp of time.

If it's chisel work, the washita will probably match an 8k waterstone on a japanese chisel, but it'll do it in a matter of seconds. It takes a little bit of skill, and I'm sure the subtleties of it that are relatively easy to manage are the kinds of things that a significant fraction of beginners could mangle in a course.

"better" than a washita, a stack of honing film or a modern synthetic stone? Definitely not. Cheaper? No. Maybe over a three day period, but in the long run, no. But cheaper really isn't the objective here, anyway, better is the objective. If you have a modicum of skill, the washita is miles ahead of honing film. If someone thinks they need honing film or SP 13k or something to achieve anything with woodworking, then lack of skill is an issue.

I'm aware that you can baby honing film. I tried it, both for tools and razors. If you want to screw with it and have a "clean area" or a sharpening setup that you get out and put away each time you use it, you can do it. If you have a fair amount of work to do with a carving tool or narrow chisel, you stand a fair chance of damaging it, unless you really poke. I'll be done with either of those in half a minute on the washita, and if they need something more, either a trans ark or jasper will take care of it pretty easily. Without damage, without worrying about whether or not something may land on them or a *substrate* if I'm working in the shop and chips are flying.

I don't think you'll see much of that kind of stuff in a professional shop. On the UK board where there are more hand tool using professionals, you tend to hear more about india stones, arkansas stones and charnley stones, and a whole lot less about "seeded" this or that or "extra tough new ceramic alumina". It's poo unless the end is something unrelated to woodworking. Actually doing more woodworking, and sharpening gouges and small cutters, and jack planes, and try planes, and scissors, and knives, etc, helped me see it pretty quickly, despite a half decade before all of that of searching through the latest and greatest, reading about the technical data, finding irons that hold an edge longer planing silica. It was all a waste of time, but I didn't have the right person to teach me about it locally.

I'd pay $300 for a washita if I had to (of course, nobody does), and I'd pay extra for a ward iron over anything newly made. Of course, I paid almost $300 for a chosera 10K, but it was pretty easy to sell because it's not as fine as it's described, and it's less practical for anything other than show sharpening on a japanese knife. Interesting to try, but not functionally better.

Messages In This Thread

flattening Waterstones- shapton pro
Re: flattening Waterstones- shapton pro
Flattening
Revise atoma price...
Re: Revise dia-sharp price...
Diamond plates
Re: Diamond plates
Diamond plates......
Re: diasharp vs. diaflat
Re: diasharp vs. diaflat
Re: I think...
Re: I think...
Yes, this
lapping film?
Re: lapping film?
you are not kidding!
A different perspective *LINK*
Re: A different perspective
Not universal preference
to date
Re: to date
:) *NM*
My Opinion...
Re: My Opinion...
My thoughts
Re: My thoughts
Re: My thoughts
The flat wheel surface - or not..
Re: The flat wheel surface - or not..
CBN and grit
How Are You Cleaning The CBN Wheel . . .
Re: How Are You Cleaning The CBN Wheel . . .
Why grind unhardened steel on CBN?
Re: Why grind unhardened steel on CBN?
Quick and dirty summary:
Re: Quick and dirty summary:
Atoma - $64
Re: Atoma - $64
Sandpaper Flattening & Shaptons
Re: Sandpaper Flattening & Shaptons
Stearate coating
Re: Stearate coating
Plastic laminating sheet
which side to use?
Re: which side to use?
a little bit the Indian and a little bit arrow
Re: a little bit the Indian and a little bit arrow
What a great thread this has been.....
Re: What a great thread this has been.....
Traditional Method
Re: Traditional Method *LINK* *PIC*
My apologies for being a bit too harsh..
Re: Washita vs soft Arkansas stones...
well then....
Another possibility presents itself......
CBN plates
Re: Not making sense..
Diamond wear
Re: Diamond wear
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081