Hand Tools

Subject:
When there is heavy camber

Wiley Horne--So. Calif.
Wiley Horne--So. Calif.[/AP2M

(I meant this to reply to the OP, not to Derek’s fine post!)

For jacks and foreplanes, or any plane where the camber amplitude will be, say, 1/32” or more, I suggest you mark the camber on the face of the iron before you start, so as to have a reference to grind and hone to.

One way to do this, is find a likely can, whose radius yields the amplitude you want (which will depend in part on the blade width). If you know the radius, just find the right-sized can. If you know the amplitude, then draw a line 1/32or 3/64 or whatever you want, distance from the blade’s edge, then find a can which fits the line-ends and the midpoint of the existing edge. Add a scosh to give yourself room to mark and grind. To mark, the quick and dirty way is just take a Sanford sharpie or equal and trace the can’s border, A more precise way is to blue or redden the face of the iron, and scribe through the color, to get a finer line.

Grind to just short of your marks, so as not to destroy your witness. Grind blunt, rather than trying to preserve the primary bevel while you grind. The reestablish the bevel, and proceed as David and Derek describe.

The above is my suggestion for your consideration—there are other ways, as there are with every topic we discuss here.

Wiley

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081