Hand Tools

Subject:
Flattening

david weaver
Somewhere along the line, I've tried just about everything for flattening, too.

There is a method to why I suggested the atoma, and the rationale is as follows:
* the atoma is extremely even gritted (I learned this when polishing the face of a sapphire lens watch. The other hones that I have, including my favorite Ezelap, marked it bad with uneven scratches. the atoma was so even that face of the watch only had an even haze that I could see through)
* It is absolutely flat to go along with those even grits
* the diamonds are arranged in piles instead of at random. It has some clearance, thus less sticking, and less random flotsam in terms of diamonds (the eze-s are relatively flat, but they can have a buildup of diamonds on the edges and they really stick - they also have foreign coarse diamonds to start).
* it's not terribly expensive (I think about $80)
* it does not unduly grind the stones you've bought (some of the coarser stones do - the DMT dia flat is a nice device, but it's a bit too coarse at even price, and the grit evenness isn't there vs. the atoma. It is, however, bigger and heavier, and probably has more use flattening wayward tools - but I think PSA roll is much better for that work than either - by miles - and cheaper in the long run, by miles)
* it's much longer lasting than Shaptons DGLP, or whatever they call their lapping plate. Shapton's plate is incredibly flat, but far beyond the purpose of practicality. It is the precision of a seiko spring drive, but the longevity of an unserviced audemars piguet (not good). I never noticed - ever- an atoma that wasn't that flat.
* separate and aside about flatness - DMT plastic, DMT dia flat, Atoma, and of course, shaptons devices - all are flat. Anything else, probably not (the eze is, but it's a bad choice here due to heavy stiction and sometimes less than perfect coating - and the price of it has gone way up in the last few years until it's little different than the atoma).

All of those things make Atoma (the 400 version) the choice, even without regard to price, for shaptons. Deep grooves in synthetic stones aren't really the problem that they are in natural stones, but you still want to preserve the stones you have.

The reason for the heavy base, aside from the fact that such stones are just nicer to use, is that it allows you to flatten the shaptons in situ with the atoma.

When I used the shaptons (my mind always races with the least effort way to do something), I would start with the 15,000 (same as the kuru cream, more or less), lap it, then go down the line to the 1000 grit stone. I would then clean the diamond hone literally by spraying it for about 5 seconds and all of the grit would dribble off onto the floor (to be swept up later - I'm in my garage, and my wife doesn't see this).

It is a fantastic system, and probably the cheapest premium system overall.

Also, as an aside - I had kings before shaptons, and I used W&D paper on the shaptons despite Stu Tierney's warnings of potential substandard results. He was right. Some of adhesive or something, perhaps grit, must've rubbed into the surface of the stone and I had to diamond hone it out to get decent results from the stones again.

And one other aside - these stones, just like the choseras, are entirely different with a short soak. They are soft surface and firm core feeling rather than hard and sticky feeling. There is no slurry dulling with them, so there is no reason to try to run them without slurry if it's helpful.

(I apologize for my zeal with sharpening stones. It's mostly gone with the synthetics, but my memory of what I liked about various stones has never gone away, nor has my desire to find the cheapest and fastest "perfect" system with each type).

Messages In This Thread

flattening Waterstones- shapton pro
Re: flattening Waterstones- shapton pro
Flattening
Revise atoma price...
Re: Revise dia-sharp price...
Diamond plates
Re: Diamond plates
Diamond plates......
Re: diasharp vs. diaflat
Re: diasharp vs. diaflat
Re: I think...
Re: I think...
Yes, this
lapping film?
Re: lapping film?
you are not kidding!
A different perspective *LINK*
Re: A different perspective
Not universal preference
to date
Re: to date
:) *NM*
My Opinion...
Re: My Opinion...
My thoughts
Re: My thoughts
Re: My thoughts
The flat wheel surface - or not..
Re: The flat wheel surface - or not..
CBN and grit
How Are You Cleaning The CBN Wheel . . .
Re: How Are You Cleaning The CBN Wheel . . .
Why grind unhardened steel on CBN?
Re: Why grind unhardened steel on CBN?
Quick and dirty summary:
Re: Quick and dirty summary:
Atoma - $64
Re: Atoma - $64
Sandpaper Flattening & Shaptons
Re: Sandpaper Flattening & Shaptons
Stearate coating
Re: Stearate coating
Plastic laminating sheet
which side to use?
Re: which side to use?
a little bit the Indian and a little bit arrow
Re: a little bit the Indian and a little bit arrow
What a great thread this has been.....
Re: What a great thread this has been.....
Traditional Method
Re: Traditional Method
Re: Traditional Method *LINK* *PIC*
My apologies for being a bit too harsh..
Re: Washita vs soft Arkansas stones...
well then....
Another possibility presents itself......
CBN plates
Re: Not making sense..
Diamond wear
Re: Diamond wear
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081