Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Breaker, breaker, on mine, clear the pine

TomD
Let's not pick on the stragglers, David. That article, if I am not mistaken, was written (possibly revised since?) before the whole Super Surfacer thing came to light. He is talking about the lay of the land before the good work was done on breakers, and some of what he says is dead on. I think the audience at the time were mostly concerned with why these old tools were being sold without breakers, not with the yet to be discover passions of Japanese academics. What he was saying was perfectly in line with the year 2000ish ethos where millions of dollars were spoiled on bevel up planes, and I went to a Japanese plane making seminar and we were told not to bother with the breakers. Personally I had adapted a bevel down LV plane to take a breakerless iron, and had been leaving the subs out of my Jap. planes for 20 years. That was then.

Now Larry didn't take the Enlightenment all that well as I recall. But I think some of that could be attributed to the overselling it was presented with, which in turn was understandable given that the main exponents seemed to lack background on some of the issues they dragged in. Some of the critics also, it turned out...

It is really a lot simpler than most people let on. North of 90 percent of planes don't need breakers, and where breakers aren't needed they are a pain and hold you back. Many plane types have never been made with breakers. Today's hobby woodworker is pretty limited in the kinds of planing they do, so there is a great chance they will fall either entirely into, or outside of the realm of breakers or single blades. Until pretty recently, a lot of woodworkers kept a block plane in an apron pocket, and that was pretty much it, if they got that far at all.

My dad was brought up as the son of Joiner who ran a yard out back of the house. He watched with fascination how the workmen worked , and became a woodworker in his own domestic life, and built a lot of our furniture. I would say he never actually learned how to sharpen. In the 50s (?) he played chess with the then Irish champion, who was blind, so they played without a board, so it wasn't a mental deficit. The point being that it is difficult to know what information will actually help people get along in their work. Are we helping people with breaker talk, people who can't maybe sharpen? Did LV get it right with the bevel ups? I have no idea where the average consumer is on this stuff.

Messages In This Thread

LV replacement cap irons......
Re: LV replacement cap irons......
Re: I should add..
Crude cap irons
Re: Stamping..
Re: It's worth a chuckle
Heavier Stanley cap-iron
Re: Heavier Stanley cap-iron
First one I saw...
That would've been my guess
Re: First one I saw...
Final smoothing isn't the problem
Re: Final smoothing isn't the problem
very interesting article *LINK*
Re: very interesting article
re: bevel-up
Re: re: bevel-up
Re: First one I saw... *PIC*
Sandpaper
Re: Sandpaper
Re: Sandpaper *PIC*
Quality is relative
Not really...
Re: growing pains..
Re: Latest Development
stay set
Re: stay set
The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: And it hasn't helped in others...
Re: The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: LV replacement cap irons...... *LINK*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081