Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: First one I saw...
Response To:
Re: First one I saw... ()

david weaver
Perhaps in high school - it's not the kind of thing I'd read these days. The point is, everything is fine if time isn't important. Current woodworking isn't really much of a judge of what's most efficient with hand tools, because little of the commercial market involves any of it.

But it took little time for double iron planes to eliminate single iron planes (a few decades?), and if the spouse was in the shop (instead of working at a "town job"), I'm sure they'd appreciate less effort, too.

Does it matter in 2017? Probably not. Does it matter if you want to dimension? It sure makes a large difference in effort, but a thickness planer probably makes a whole lot more (and basic versions of those are pretty cheap).

Sticking with a 65 degree plane in the day of making a living with hand tools would be a lot like skipping a few grits of sandpaper and refusing to start below 180 for the current crop of planing and sanding.

I vaguely recall you mentioning somewhere that you do a lot of hand work and have sold off your machine tools, or perhaps the variation was that you sold the machine tools off and do something else now, but use hand tools when you find a paying project that looks like furniture. It's beyond me why you wouldn't follow the lead of the people who did it for a living 200 years ago. It wasn't exactly an age of cheap furniture, and I'm not sure what the argument would be for working by hand sans double iron.

(I know several people here who do woodworking for a living, all of their spouses have jobs that are about as good as mine. None of them know how to use a double iron, aside from me showing them. They are more concerned with doing trim work during the day when they can get it, and finding students who want to refinish planes. I bounce all of this around in my head, why is it important to minimize effort in something that is unneeded effort in the first place. I guess it's just a matter of curiosity. For every one of us (with perhaps the exception of Rob Lee and a few others), we'd be financially better off if we had a cheaper hobby and spent as much time reading texts like "the checklist manifesto" or attaining professional certifications vs. reading about woodworking.

Plus, there will always be exceptions. I've got a friend who doesn't like to make much effort in his woodworking, but he loves to hand sand. Can't get enough of it, and that's no joke. 3x and a rubber block is his idea of a good time. He'd argue that 3x vs. something else is just as important as the cap iron. He's fond of trying to find a super high angle plane like the HNTs (not sure what's stopping him) because he believes there's something neanderthal-ish about using a stanley plane and just planing (vs. quasi scraping).

Can you enlighten us about why they would all be considered equal, and maybe some historical reference to that? Or a statement of likelihood based on history?

Messages In This Thread

LV replacement cap irons......
Re: LV replacement cap irons......
Re: I should add..
Crude cap irons
Re: Stamping..
Re: It's worth a chuckle
Heavier Stanley cap-iron
Re: Heavier Stanley cap-iron
First one I saw...
That would've been my guess
Final smoothing isn't the problem
Re: Final smoothing isn't the problem
very interesting article *LINK*
Re: very interesting article
Re: Breaker, breaker, on mine, clear the pine
re: bevel-up
Re: re: bevel-up
Re: First one I saw... *PIC*
Sandpaper
Re: Sandpaper
Re: Sandpaper *PIC*
Quality is relative
Not really...
Re: growing pains..
Re: Latest Development
stay set
Re: stay set
The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: And it hasn't helped in others...
Re: The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: LV replacement cap irons...... *LINK*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081