Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Planecraft and the Cap Iron

david weaver
"as close as possible" is listed in the table in mine for the last step. But the discussion launches right into a long narrative about narrowing the mouth and using all of the features of the "record plane".

As a maker of planes, I suspect that the moving frog has little to do with function and a lot to do with manufacturing cost and ease.

The book advises moving the frog around a lot (I guess to make you feel like you have a lot of options), but this is something I've heard few people talk about actually doing, because it's a pain and to truly get tearout control, you have to close the mouth off to about twice the shaving thickness (which leads to dumb things like filing mouths, etc).

I tend to agree with Warren's conclusion that it's written from the point of view of users who lost a few nerve endings since Nicholson's book was written, but excerpts of Nicholson text are probably a difficult go for a new user.

I prefer Mark H's recommendation for a beginner. Just do a lot of it and see what you figure out. If you have no insight, maybe you won't figure out much. If you do, you'll be using the double iron without a couple of hundred board feet (perhaps with the exception of someone working only in pine).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081