Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Who are the teachers?
Response To:
Re: Who are the teachers? ()

TM Stock
Before every flight of an 8000 hour flying career that spanned 40 years, I finished the preflight, tossed the checklist and inspection gear in the aircraft, and did two complete circuits around the aircraft in an anti-clockwise direction before I got in the aircraft and committed to converting JP-4 to noise. Before I took those turns around the aircraft, I visualized open cowlings, control locks still in place, 'Remove Before Flight' streamers flying briskly in the breeze, and all the other stuff often missed in aircraft prep that go from inconvenient on the ramp to hazardous on the runway to a couple of letters from the unit commanders to spouses once airborne.

I did it because Ray Sovia - my chain-smoking, six tours in 'Nam primary flight instructor - did it, and insisted on an 18-year-old me doing it, and - more importantly - did it himself for every hour of his 25,000 hour-plus career.

I taught my primary students to do the same, and as an instructor of instructors, taught other instructors the technique. As a senior standards pilot for a large organization, I cajoled my boss into requiring it of all crews, and as commander of a combat aviation unit, required every pilot to do it on pain of getting booted from what was a plumb special ops billet.

I got grief for 'wasting time' by other pilots early in my career. I was advised that even if I did those circuits of the aircraft walking backwards in a funny hat and gesticulating wildly with a wand, it was still not bringing me any special favor with the sky gods that dictate whether a flight is trouble free or otherwise.

A funny thing happened on the way to that 8000 hours of incident-accident free flying time...no loose cowlings, no control locks still sitting between stab and elevators, and no pitot-static covers disabling my airspeed indicator on takeoff. No incidents or accidents related to preflight oversights in units where I ran the show or had the boss's ear on policy.

Sometime around 2005 when I retired from military flying, one of my original primary students (then teaching at Duke in engineering IMS) from circa 1979 sent me an article from one of the psychology/human performance mags that explained the why of what I had been doing since my first walk-around with Mr. Sovia in 1976. It was a bunch of interesting notions on pattern and anti-pattern recognition, and cited (amongst other things), visualizing a round in the chamber before picking up and clearing a weapon, versus looking for and expecting the weapon to be cleared.

It was nice to have some science to attach to what I had been doing and teaching, but the article did not generate a single second of those 8000 accident/incident free hours, or the hundreds of thousands of safe hours flown by my students, fellow pilots, or aircrews under my command. If I were still teaching flight instructors, I'd include the why of why I insisted on the practice, but most of those students would forget the why and simply comply with the what and the how.

Messages In This Thread

Planes; knife geometry specifications *LINK*
Re: Planes; knife geometry specifications
Re: Planes; knife geometry specifications *PIC*
Re: Strawmen
Who are the teachers?
Re: All screwed up?
Re: All screwed up?
Skepticism *PIC*
Re: Skepticism
Print from 1993 *LINK* *PIC*
Re: Print from 2010 *PIC*
Re: Print from 1905 *LINK* *PIC*
Re: Print from 1950 *LINK* *PIC*
Integral Chipbreakers in handplanes *PIC*
Re: Integral Chipbreakers in machines *PIC*
Re: Integral Chipbreakers in machines *PIC*
Re: Integral Chipbreakers in handplanes
Re: Print from 1917 *PIC*
Re: Print from 1905
Re: Print from 1905
Re: Print from 1993
Breadth of forum participation *NM* *LINK*
Re: Breadth of forum participation
Re: Breadth of forum participation
Stanley...anyone care to comment? *PIC*
Occasionally, someone thinks they have...... *PIC*
I wish I had a wheel..
Re: Occasionally, someone thinks they have......
Beautiful workbench Roger! *NM*
Thanks Mark.....
Perfection exists to be pursued not caught. *NM*
Re: Stanley...anyone care to comment?
Thanks William. *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081