Subject:
Re: Resin-based razor hones
Response To:
Resin-based razor hones ()

david weaver
Some names to look up:
* aloxite
* swaty
* american hone co (frictionite, super punjab, and a whole gaggle of others)
* tonsorial gem
* OVB (there's a cross reference to woodworking, they have some reasonably nice razor hones that don't cost much)
* Raven
* Norton (beware of the cost of these, they are a favorite on the axe circuit in australia and new zealand - 2.x by 5 inches may be in the range of $1k)
* carborundum corp other than aloxite

(using the words "razor hone" with any of the above will get you a whole bunch on google images).

Most of the above hones are made in the following fashion:
* a relatively coarse abrasive, like what we'd call 2k, is embedded in a binder, and then the surface is finished to a gloss. They are never intended to be conditioned or the coarseness of the actual abrasive will be seen quickly. their use is to thin the bevel of a razor in most cases, but not remove the edge. A very rough shave ensues until linen and leather recondition the actual edge if one goes that route.
* there are some exceptions - the frictionite 825/#00 fine side is relatively fine. Like 8k-10k and won't ruin your day. The very fine swaty, the same (there are various types), the norton axe man is very fine, but probably not more so than a shapton. An axe man is made to be used dry or wet, though, and is far better for rubbing a race axe than anything new (thus the desire for them). Same is true of frictionite.

I have pulled some old synthetic WA and other stones out of japan. They're interesting, and a lot like modern hones, but they do have some vitrified 8x3x1 sized india stones that are finer than the india stones here. I like those a LOT.

How we got from those to marshmallow kings, I have no idea. Someone (a population as a whole) lost their touch, I guess. Presumably kings were really cheap. Otherwise, I can't see how that style got much of a hold in a society where most woodworkers would've been professionals.

George handed me a pile of frictionite hones to sell for him a while ago. All but one ended up being bought by a guy in Australia who was passing them out to friends (or customers) on the wood circuit. The 2 1/2 x 5 stones averaged about $225 or something, so they're not exactly a practical choice for woodworking, but they have a superb feel.

I have a small gaggle of the other types (the more coarse ones) and use one from time to time as a novelty, but they're not good for woodworking, even though they're far better than the stones that carborundum corp sold as replacements for ark stones. I'd figure if there was a desire for stones of that type, the 8x3 hones and 8x 2 1/2 stones of alumina would've been picked up by woodworkers, but they never were. I can only assume the fine carborundum stones were a preference for carpenters. The coarse stones are nice for grinding, but the fine ones pretty much make a whole bunch of loose grit everywhere, and it's not fine enough to finish an edge, but not fast enough to do much grinding. Chunking 2x4s with a jack plane - it's good enough for that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081