Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Print from 1993
Response To:
Re: Print from 1993 ()

david weaver
Mark, the point in this case is the group that I complained most about is the "woodworking instructors" and others on the forums who seemed to have no clue.

I would assume other than being taught about the cap iron (nobody taught me, but at the same time, nobody on the forums sent me even to a text to describe the cap iron's use), a great deal of what you've come to know is based on how useful you've found it to be.

Once you figure it out, even if you're not taught (I figured Warren knew what he was talking about, because he was the only person I knew who worked without any power tools at all - but I still never really "figured it out" until I put my other planes aside and forced myself to use a stanley 4 to smooth for a two week period - I was making some basic case work for my daughter's room, but doing it entirely by hand by choice).

That's really the point, I suppose, is that except for the few who were professionally trained and then ran with it, the information was very sparse for someone seeking it. The fact that you ended up in the super surfacers (which will be very particular about their setup with the cap iron) multiplies the usefulness of the cap and your understanding of it. Few others will have as much exposure.

The other part of this point is that you have people like Charlie, who for reasons other than objectivity, just follow a few people around and say "oh, there's no real difference" .." you can do it a million ways". Charlie purports to do a lot of work by hand but suggests that there's little difference between cap iron use and use of a whole bunch of other things. I can only conclude that his perception is lacking in some areas where yours is not.

Pointing to old texts is fine, but most people wouldn't even know they exist at the start. Starting a beginner on the path to a limited number of bench planes and use of the cap iron is far better than "anything will work, and now we have all of these new tools that are better than the old ones". You're relatively new, and you were brought here by Bill's discussion, but there was literally a decade or two of discussion where little was said of the cap iron, regardless of what was in old text. Reality is the opposite - people were encouraged to find other means, but you know well enough that those other means are more intensive in cash involvement and less effective in terms of efficiency.

Messages In This Thread

Planes; knife geometry specifications *LINK*
Re: Planes; knife geometry specifications
Re: Planes; knife geometry specifications *PIC*
Re: Strawmen
Who are the teachers?
Re: Who are the teachers?
Re: All screwed up?
Re: All screwed up?
Skepticism *PIC*
Re: Skepticism
Print from 1993 *LINK* *PIC*
Re: Print from 2010 *PIC*
Re: Print from 1905 *LINK* *PIC*
Re: Print from 1950 *LINK* *PIC*
Integral Chipbreakers in handplanes *PIC*
Re: Integral Chipbreakers in machines *PIC*
Re: Integral Chipbreakers in machines *PIC*
Re: Integral Chipbreakers in handplanes
Re: Print from 1917 *PIC*
Re: Print from 1905
Re: Print from 1905
Breadth of forum participation *NM* *LINK*
Re: Breadth of forum participation
Re: Breadth of forum participation
Stanley...anyone care to comment? *PIC*
Occasionally, someone thinks they have...... *PIC*
I wish I had a wheel..
Re: Occasionally, someone thinks they have......
Beautiful workbench Roger! *NM*
Thanks Mark.....
Perfection exists to be pursued not caught. *NM*
Re: Stanley...anyone care to comment?
Thanks William. *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081