Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Planecraft Sharpening

david weaver
Shortly after the cap session is a pretty nice discussion on sharpening. Following it literally would have a user in a bit of trouble, though.

The nice part - Paul Sellers need not apply - Planecraft recommends bevels as flat as you can get them, and since they are dealing with laminated irons, they also recommend a single bevel for the skilled.

The not so nice part - I believe they're suggesting 25 degrees as the single primary bevel, as other sources have. Not a great idea for finishing planes, or even try planes. I think an honest tinkerer will end up in the low 30s if they're trying for the longest lasting edge.

The other nice part - they are really high on washita and arkansas oilstones. Someone may say that at the time, there wasn't anything equivalent to modern waterstones, but that's not the case. There were bench stone versions of the resin based razor hones, but they never caught on, despite being about the same price. I like the good ones of that era better than modern waterstones, and they'd be longer lasting and a little slower cutting (which is a benefit to a skilled user).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081