Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: LV replacement cap irons......

Hank Knight
No problem Patrick. I wasn't very clear in my original post, so there was certainly room for misunderstanding.

I just went down to my workshop and examined several of my LN. While I was at it, I realized that I have been referring to chip breakers as "cap irons" throughout this exchange. My mistake. I'm talking about chip breakers.

I think Derek alluded to this, but I found that my LN chip breakers have a raised lip of about .005" in thickness that forms the leading edge that contacts the cutting iron. Behind the lip, the bottom of the surface of the chip breaker is relieved by several; thousandths of an inch. The result is to give the chip breaker a slight curve ahead of the screw that provides a little spring when the screw is tightened. Because the chip breaker is so thick and stiff, the spring effect is substantial and holds the edge in contact with the iron with some force. I took some (poor) photos of this for illustration.

This is the underside of the chip breaker. You can see (hopefully) the lip at the top of the photo.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/gftg6uz0j/][/url]

This photo shows (I hope) the slight curve of the chip breaker ahead of the screw.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/m3zqxydpf/][/url]

In this photo you can see the springing effect on the chip breaker - note the space ahead of the screw between the iron on the right and the chip breaker on the left, and the solid contact between the leading edge of the chip breaker and the iron at the top of the photo. A little magnification would be helpful here, but I think the slight gap is visible.
[url=https://postimg.org/image/hjdkihr9v/][/url]

Addressing several of the issues raised by David Charlesworth in his post above, I never intended to claim the LN chip breakers did not require some work before they performed satisfactorily. The mating surface of the LN chip breaker was flat, but it had some light machine marks. I polished the machine marks off and also polished and slightly rounded the leading edge. Not much work at all and they have required nothing more since.

I've never had any trouble setting them and adjusting the position vis a vis the cutting iron. I have probably experienced the "walking" Derek mentioned, but it has not been a problem. This afternoon, I paid close attention to my routine for reattaching the chip breaker to the iron. I hand tightened the chip breaker screw, positioned the chip breaker with my thumbs and tightened the screw with a large screwdriver. It clamped down solidly with no slippage or "walking". This has been my experience each time I remove and reattach the chip breaker. In the occasional event of a slip when I tighten the screw, a couple of taps with the screwdriver handle quickly realigns the chip breaker. It's not as problem. I do think, however, that the knurling Lee Valley puts on their chip breaker screws would be handy.

As to your question about how I have used my Stanley planes to cause problems with the original chip breakers, I don't know how to answer that. I have used them the way I learned years ago which has been confirmed by everything I have read and seen in the years since. Chips jamming in the chip breakers was a persistent issue with most of my Stanley planes until I upgraded the irons and chip breakers. It stopped then and hasn't been a problem since.

Hank

Messages In This Thread

LV replacement cap irons......
Re: I should add..
Crude cap irons
Re: Stamping..
Re: It's worth a chuckle
Heavier Stanley cap-iron
Re: Heavier Stanley cap-iron
First one I saw...
That would've been my guess
Re: First one I saw...
Final smoothing isn't the problem
Re: Final smoothing isn't the problem
Re: First one I saw... *PIC*
Sandpaper
Re: Sandpaper
Re: Sandpaper *PIC*
Quality is relative
Not really...
Re: growing pains..
Re: Latest Development
stay set
Re: stay set
The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: And it hasn't helped in others...
Re: The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: The internet hasn't helped in some things..
Re: LV replacement cap irons...... *LINK*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081