Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Option 2
Response To:
Re: Option 2 ()

david weaver
India is good because it settles down pretty quickly and is hard. if you don't use it day to day, it will stay flat for a long time.

The fact that it's hard doesn't much matter on mild steel, though, it'll cut like crazy in anything soft (see my oft complaining about oilstones in general and soft pocket knives - they expose how big the particles actually are in oilstones, and how important it is to have a steel that's in a reasonable hardness range).

Can't push a chisel or gouge into one, can't groove it with a card scraper.

I haven't thought too much about the paper other than that it's better worn a little at 80 grit, it'll still cut things really fast, and it will flatten any iron that's worth recovering if you make a fixture to hold the iron.

In terms of undercutting, i vaguely recall that the hock cap irons are just flat. I just got one more LN plane last year, and prepped the cap iron without thinking too much about the flat step, but David's right - a new user who buys that in isolation would probably be wondering about it. They'd be better surfaced to an edge at 45 or 50 degrees, but maybe they're concerned that a user will ding the edge. Who knows?

(re: the paper, I'll buy mirka gold when it's cheap, but last I checked, it was $28 a roll and the porter cable branded paper was $11 delivered. Mirka gold isn't better by that ratio, and only a large flat metal surface - like a plane - really benefits from the paper holding that tooth for a long time. It's generally a bit too much for back flattening when fresh because of the groove depth. Great for grinding bevels, too, if you can handle the heat it generates. )

There are a lot of oddball things that you can buy that will not get use (specialty squares, gotta have it weirdo combination gauges, etc.), but a glass and paper lap isn't one of them. Same with an india stone. A beginner would curse one because a little touch is required with them, but they are fantastic. I'd much rather have india, washita and then (fill in the black for a follow up stone) than any synthetic regimen. Even for razors.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081