Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Stamping..

david weaver
I always think about 9 layers deeper about every small thing than I need to.

One of the things that I've wondered is why LN is so convinced that their cap iron is such an improvement. I don't have an LN plane with an old cap iron, so I can't experiment with new and old to see if the new slide better, etc, but David Charlesworth (who is welcome to comment) was pretty sure that the LN cap iron is a significant improvement.

I feel like I know a little bit about cap irons and don't see it.

I wonder if there is something very undesirable about stamping things in a manufacturing environment, or the fact that you can't really stamp them and then machine finish them as easily vs. "lots of flat things in grinding machines", etc.

I don't think everything is a conspiracy, but I also think I know more about the cap iron than LN, and maybe there's more to it than just function. I'm more than willing to be proven wrong by them. Warren knows more about it than I do, and he proves me wrong all the time. When I'm no longer willing to be wrong at something, I know my time with it is done - it's not interesting and there is only downside.

Be curious to know if anyone involved with manufacturing would find that stamping operations are an issue from a risk/worker's comp perspective, etc.

I quite like the cap iron design on LV's standard line bench planes, but without going in circles with LV and bothering them, I have no clue if they would fit a standard bench plane. There's nothing wrong with their custom plane design, but I'm too far down the road with the stanley type, I guess - you sort of get a preference for the familiar.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081