Subject:
Re: the sun comes up the next day..
Response To:
Re: Unfair criticism ()

david weaver
..and the maker still has limited time to:
* pay both sides of social security taxes
* pay any other confiscatory local taxes that we usually don't see as employees
* answer emails, pack orders, order supplies, etc.

I think the trouble with something like this is that there is no mechanism for distribution after the fact, and I'm going to assume that when all is said and done, he wasn't making a whole lot. Even though the saws are expensive, in order to really reap much profit, you have to find someone who can produce what you're making on a large scale for very little.

If you get free parts for your saw, someone else will, then it becomes a post on a forum and a maker who is already probably making relatively little is stuck trying to spend all of his time keeping straight hundreds of folks who are getting free parts on his dime.

The fact that he'd sell the parts for $8 plus shipping is probably already a losing proposition, and we haven't even accounted for the fact that he may have had sick days or off days.

I thought the handle was kind of weak, but the saws were for metalworkers and not woodworkers. I sort of get that people don't have the taste that we have. I personally would much rather have the free handle than a $4 piece of cocobolo stick for $75, but the maker is in a thankless position either way unless he gets a duplicating lathe and starts to make his own (which again, would lead to higher costs).

We've been conditioned to believe that there is unlimited time, and that makers are stuck going down with our ships if we fire salvos at them. I think in this case, the conditioning is not appropriate because there aren't throngs of order fillers or automated bots that will just handle giving out free stuff.

All of these things have a great deal to do with why I don't make planes and sell them (something i'd love to do). I do flip razors and stones on etsy, and most of the people who buy are friendly, but from time to time, I get folks who want me to give them free stuff or send them 10 stones to try and let them keep one (which is actually market practice on really expensive natural stones, but not so much on stones that are $80).

I see this through the makers' eyes only because if he's not getting rich (which I'd assume is the case), if he's taking time off to travel to shows and then wasting money on a booth (and aside from the necessity of makers to get things in peoples' hands, the whole show circuit is a *tremendous* waste of time and money), you can only get pulled so many ways.

And no slight to Dave Jeske, but there's quite a bit of room in his tools to operate- but even for him, it's not an obligation. If he chooses to provide that kind of service, that's great, but it shouldn't be the obligation of a single maker who is probably working for a fraction of what we'd work for.

My sense on this is that if I had a saw that was outdated (and at one point, I did - from Knew Concepts), I'd be ecstatic if I could upgrade it for a few dollars. I have no idea how much of his time it takes to fill an order like that (the parts), make sure he's got stock, label a package, etc, but to me, all of those things aren't trivial. For amazon, they're accounted for. The same for LV. Filling customer service orders doesn't take a guy off the floor.

In our day jobs, if we were asked to spend a part of each year improving things we'd done earlier in the year and do it without receiving a pay check, we'd not be so happy about it. Entirely different thing than if we were buying $2 widgets off of dhgate and selling them for $20 as fast as we could.

Make a hundred of something simple and list it on etsy (you'd be surprised at what will sell on there). Take the time to fill the orders, answer emails with questions, etc, put stuff in boxes, track it, deal with lost stuff or unhappy customers and see how you feel about the prospect of sending out a couple of hundred packages with no compensation.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081