Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Knew Concepts Saw ?
Response To:
Knew Concepts Saw ? ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
I am looking for an all-around saw that I would not use all the time but want to work well when I do use it. So what do you all think-coping or fret and which size?

Hi Don

The problem with a jack-of-all-trades is that you end up one that waters down the attributes.

If you just want a fretsaw for predominantly removing dovetail waste, I recommend the 3" version. That will cut to a depth of 2". One does not need more depth than that ...

The shallower depth also keeps down weight, increases stiffness and, since material is less important, the cheaper end of the saw range will do just fine.

On the other hand, if you want to do piercing, you have a choice of 5" and 8" frames (I am pretty much the novice in that area, so cannot make recommendations). There is also a new aluminium 8" frame, which Lee Marshall sent me about 12 months ago, which is thicker (and heavier), but extremely stiff. That's it on the left (on the right is the original titanium saw that Lee sent me many years ago, which we tweaked and he developed into the Woodworker's fretsaw) ...

This 8" saw has a 360 degree rotating blade.

For my own use, I just have an early 5" in Titanium. I really have not needed more than this.

Here is the handle I replaced on mine, with the originals in the background.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081