Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: More .. (shudder) .. on the chipbreaker :O

david weaver
I'm not sure it "unsunk" completely. If you go to the UK forum, you can talk to someone like Custard and many others who said they were taught it, but didn't really get it until I and others beat everyone over the head with it.

Recall the thread where he was jacking a bubinga table top and you used your "many ways to skin a cat" line? And he said, sure, but none of the others work as well or as quickly.

The loss seems to be two phase:
* over here, most people seem to have forgotten it completely, but they "remember" they read it after the fact
* in the UK, people seem to remember that they were taught it by someone

Few seem to use it or use it well.

Here's my gimmick for everyone who likes all of the other ways to skin a cat.

Force yourself to use a stanley 4 only for everything you do that's flat for a month. Each time you have something you'd scrape, figure out how to do it with the plane instead. You'll probably come to the same conclusion that I have, that the other stuff becomes a relative last resort. In order to get a finished surface, you have to have:
* the ability to plane something in general (meaning the forces have to be reasonable - obviously a big deal on larger cases that might have a bit of give if you have to finish plane them for some reason)
* the ability to do it without tracks (this takes fairly little time to figure out)
* the ability to have the plane leave a uniform surface (this is more about good sharpening and a properly set cap)

I just don't see much discussion to that level. Except from Warren. It speeds everything up, including smoothing, even though that's perhaps not the most useful part of cap iron use. I was drawn to it in terms of laziness with dimensioning - single iron and tight mouth doesn't cut it. But it unexpectedly taught me to finish a surface smoothing much faster, too.

I yield to your comments about customers not caring. I don't have customers. And I yield even further to who is actually doing this stuff to make money? Not many people - teaching is far more lucrative, apparently. So, does it really matter? probably not. At one point, I saw Rob Millard as the standard, because he was just making pieces, but even he is teaching classes now.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081