Hand Tools

Subject:
Re:I tried for it this morning

david weaver
0.3 micron diamond is a bit less sharp, but a little more toothy vs. chromium oxide (though that could vary from razor to razor a little bit). The edge still has a little bit of "crunch".

.09 micron iron oxide is smaller and shallower cutting than either of those, so you can get an "almost perfect" edge with it, at least in terms of a relative comparison - especially if you are gentle with the strop and don't burnish the edge off right away.

This is kremer pigment 110M (I think) in case you want to try it (you might have it already). I don't used diamonds on razors, but have heard some of the pro sharpeners say they go down to 0.25 micron and then follow that with chromium oxide pigments to remove the diamond tooth (there's debate on which of those two is sharper, but on a hard surface, probably 0.5 micron chrome ox powder in simple steels - maybe the opposite in high speed steels). I'm tinkering to see what I can get for an edge to get a reaction from people buying razors that I'm flipping, but this one is the first level past tasteful. I have been setting up kamisoris with either japanese stones or coticules (they don't like synthetics that much because of their hardness) and then following with chrome ox on balsa, and that seems to be a really good stopping point. i hate to admit it, but it's a better shave than natural stone only, and it's easy maintenance to hit the balsa once a week. People buying the regrind kamisoris that I have have been very complimentary.

FWIW, iwasaki's guide suggests 1 micron diamonds (which he used on a soft strop after a true japanese razor finisher), so this real push for the extreme must be a recent thing.

I tend to agree with iwasaki (not necessarily with diamonds, but the premise - I don't know that he had the array of at-your-fingertips abrasives in the 1960s. It probably wasn't even easy to get 1 micron diamonds back then unless you went through industry supply, and I'll bet they were expensive).

(I have talked to one person who liked this stuff, though. Chris Griggs. Chris is vegan and can't use a strop, so he has to chase edges to have as little of a wire edge as possible).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081