Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: S30V at Rc58
Response To:
Re: S30V at Rc58 ()

david weaver
Vanadium comment - I looked at the alloy (S30V), and it does have a fair amount of vanadium in it, but a lot of chromium and molybdenum.

That's enough knife searching for me. After finding that people, in all seriousness, make knives and sell them for high dollars with the name (and claimed purpose) of counterterrorism knives, and then go into goofy explanations about carbide precipitation, etc. (do the terrorists care if the knife releases a few carbides?).

I found one post that I really pretty much agree with, apparently a bladesmith that's been in business for a long time, and expects his customers to cut with the knives and be able to sharpen them. Quoted:

I suppose that if dropping your blades on the concrete is something you want to do......but I don't think its very viable, simply because its rather unrealistic.
If anyone ever came to me with a damaged knife and told me they had intentionally dropped it that way, I would tell them that they are on their own.
I personally think that all of the "testing" you see and/or hear about, like stabbing a car hood, slashing a 55 gallon drum, or bashing a concrete block, is about like trying ice skating uphill....its counter productive to common sense, and pretty ridiculous.

A knife is a cutting tool....its not a prybar, its not a screwdriver, nor is it a can opener. The primary function of a knife is to cut, hold the edge reasonably well, be easy to resharpen for the owner (this is something that many knifemakers seem to miss), and withstand the "abuses" that it encounters while being used for its intended function.

OK, now that my rant it over, I do think its important to test the blades that you make, but it is also important to test them in a realistic manner.
Dropping a blade, point down, on the concrete isn't something that a blade would normally encounter during use...and if someone where to do it intentionally, that constitutes abuse in my opinion. I've handled and tested my fair share of blades that boasted of their ability to cut through a car hood or smash a concrete block, and without exception, none of them were even close to being what I would consider an acceptable cutting implements. In order to endure/survive that type of abuse, the edges are super obtuse, the blades overly thick and heavy, and the grinds utilized are often counter productive to a cutting tool.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081