Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: The other
Response To:
Re: The other ()

david weaver
Well, so far the bubble count:
* Iles chisels - and not all of them. May have just been a defective spot. The bubbles first discovered were not uniform in shape and some took up a very large part of the scope view. Perhaps almost a hundredth
* the fallknaven (I'm sure I'm spelling that wrong at least half the time) knife - probably just a defective batch or low QC. V11 doesn't have those bubbles. The knife will work fine for what I like (much like wiley's list - pretty much anything at hand) and I won't have to subject my prized tidioutes to the shop and rust potential.
* LN A2 - could be carbides

I doubt we'll see anything from crucible, carpenter/latrobe or hitachi like that, though.

I'll really "get after" the buck knife later and see what the maximum potential of the 154CM is after a strop (as mentioned in another post - everything looks great off of the stones and compound, but the strop will take a little off of lesser steels and hard tempered razors - or razors that are flat out defective). Just a little line and very few gap disturbances is the mark of a good steel in razors. On knives, well, I don't know if the angle is gradual enough to matter. It's easy to make an edge on a chisel that looks as good as my best razor edges, but the angle is almost twice as steep, so the effect on a hanging hair is much different!!)

Thanks for the discussion. I had sort of set this knife aside (I gather sypderco and benchmade are the preferred knives for low and mid-cost knives, but I don't love either of them and buck reminds me of my childhood when every brass and rosewood knife engendered the question "is that a real buck knife or a cheapie"?). I see also that benchmade specifies a fairly wide range of not very hard for a lot of the exotic steels. If you're going to put S30V in something and then make it 58 hardness, I don't really get it.

re: the 440C, I have read a little that part of the issue with it is that it's so rewarding to skill and care in the making and heating and tempering. That can be a good thing in the hands of the right smith, but not so great overall. My chinese stockman from boker is 440C, and it's not cheese soft, but it's definitely not hard! Not sure what GEC uses for stainless, probably 440C, but would guess that by tradition, it'd be a touch soft to sharpen on natural stones.

(a knife by friodur made at the same quality level that they make their razors would be just lovely).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081