Hand Tools

Subject:
Picture of 154CM *PIC*

david weaver
With the small scope.

Nothing untoward on the edge other than some aspects of the blade itself (geometry - the shoulder is close to the back of the knife and the actual edge itself is concave a bit along its lines - both of those would need to be addressed in the long term). I have seen far worse, though - there is a notch for relief, so it's not immediately "unsharpenable" like some knives are (when I sharpen knives for people, the hard shoulder kitchen knives that are beat up at the back of the edge are always a pain - I usually grind the shoulder, but some people get offended by that. I have no clue how someone would use a knife like that, though.

Anyway, the look of this knife is found here:
http://www.budk.com/Buck-Rosewood-Folding-Alpha-Hunter-Knife-2349

This is a US made knife, though, with rosewood clad handles, liner lock, relatively large and a button to open. As I recall, it was $45 or $50.
http://www.budk.com/Buck-Rosewood-Folding-Alpha-Hunter-Knife-2349
Not classic style, but again, there's far worse out there

It could be sharper, but I'm sure my dad never used a hunting knife as sharp as this one is at this point (he sharpened a camillus survival knife with a mid grit silicon carbide stone and that's it). We ate an awful lot of deer meat when I was a kid, so the urge to sharpen is not because it needs it. I did find a washita stone in my dad's gun cabinet, though, and we cleaned it off and now he sharpens his knives properly - and he no longer hunts.

Anyway, this is a knife too nice for me to use in the shop, which is bizarre to say. It's four times the size of the fallknaven knife and a little more than half the cost (but it'd be probably equal in cost now if it wasn't on clearance). I plan to keep the fallknaven knife in the shop. From what I recall, also, this buck knife is not fully hardened if VG10 knives are a reference point.

Another thing rare about it is that it represents a time when I found a bargain at cabelas (which is near the in laws)...That's something I rarely find.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081