Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Diamond paste grades

david weaver
0.1 is actually what's on the piece of wood in the picture. For some reason, at one point, I got 8 grits from 100 to 0.1 micron.

I always bought powders because they're a lot cheaper than pastes when all is said and done.

re: DMT, I'm not too familiar since I've only bought loose diamond powder, but recall that the watch website that I looked at recommended them. As shallow as the diamond cuts the lens, even if it's not graded too close, it's probably OK. You get a matte finish with nothing necessarily out of order with the 400 grit atoma. I was a bit shocked by that, and once you get going, the powder comes off pretty quickly. I don't remember exactly, but maybe 5 minutes or less for what's shown on it there.

For giggles, I tried a couple of other alumina based things (autosol, 10 micron alumina buffing stick, etc), but none of them would do anything to the crystal.

Still not sure what was on the EZE lap. I should've taken a picture of the lens after it went over it. It was horrific. Fortunately, the lens is pretty thick.

I hopefully am over the watch jones and will probably peddle the king seikos, but it's been interesting. Still have vials in 1, 0.5, 0.25 and 0.1 micron (I got them from a lapping supply place here, I think, but I could be wrong - I know I got them through the mail, but there are times I will do that, anyway, because a 10-15 mile trip on the weekend might be two hours round trip and it's just not worth it).

Thanks for the offer to send some, though. I've got more lapping products than anyone who has no real need for them should have. Including CBN suspensions, etc (that didn't come from razor suppliers). Those were a waste, even the "heavy concentration" isn't very heavy. There must be a machine that works them that I don't have, and maybe that's what I'm missing. And, the pigments, of course. Which you find out when they spill ....they're definitely pigments, and they go a long way before you finally get the last of the colors cleaned off of whatever they spilled on. Even painted wood, you'll find every single crack you never knew existed in a painted surface that hasn't been breached.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081