Hand Tools

Subject:
Modern vs. Modern Vintage *PIC*

david weaver
I didn't have the big scope set up, so I took a couple of pictures with the small scope.

This is the fallknaven knife first, after grinding some of the shoulder off with a silicon carbide stone and then sharpening with arkansas stones.

It looks like the last bevel is really steep, but it's not. I sharpen knives with oilstones like this, rounding the shoulder (but not steep rounding, just a product of hand honing), then a tiny bit of fine work with the final stone and then a leather strop.

A view of another section (it's hard to get a good picture with this scope because you have the scope in your hand and focus at high magnification depends on the scope pretty much touching whatever it's looking at, so all of the operation has to happen with one hand - holding the scope still on something that's not held down, turning the focus wheel at the same time with the same hand, and then using the other hand to tell the computer to catch an image)....anyway..another section. What this results in is a sharp edge (and this shaves hair easily, even though it's powder stainless), but a hair here or there will get missed.

And here's a tidioute. This is 1095, which is an awful lot like vintage steel. I'm sure you can get bump imported 1095, but I doubt tidioute is using cheap stuff because the blades are so small. This is a new knife (I didn't have my daily carrier handy), so I didn't hone it to remove the shoulder. Not sure what they use to sharpen these at the factory but the bevel is both very well polished and very steep. It equates to an edge that doesn't feel that sharp.

Note also that despite the very high magnification (probably 100x), the finish above the bevel is very fine. The entire bevel is finished that well. As I've been gushing already, I don't think they make much money per knife, their level of fit and finish is so far above everything else without being amatuerish like a big wide convex grind that you'd see on a benchmade knife or some other giant hunk of metal.

No bubbles on this.

I have run into these things at random so far, the bubbles on this, the bubbles in the AI chisels, the possible carbides being removed from the A2 from LN. So far, no japanese chisel and no vintage steel has had any bubbles in it.

Though there's nothing advanced about 1095, I've seen several technophile knife user reviews where the reviewer has bought a GEC 1095 knife and remarked how well the knife cut and how it cut far longer than they'd expect 1095 to. There's no magic going on, these blades are just appropriately hard (I think they told george they shoot for 60 or 61 or something, and I haven't seen that on any other 1095 knives, even though some claim it. Other 1095 knives that I've had sharpen very easily and quickly on oilstones, which is a tip off that they're not close to 61).

I'm still sticking to my comment that the japanese steel is the best quality I've ever seen, the good vintage stuff is between, and the modern stuff is lacking.

When I get the scope set back up, I'll get some more irons in it.

I'm surprised that fallknaven would not check something like this. This is a utility type knife, so it's no big deal, but it's the kind of thing both the steelmaker and knife maker should catch on QC. It is, though, a hard knife and it holds its burr with vigor, so I'm sure it will wear well. In good 440C, though, the knife would cost a third as much, and could potentially be better. The knife, with plastic handles and hex screw fixturing is essentially $1 worth of knife and a lot of $s worth of laminated powder metallurgy. But the powder isn't delivering what it should as far as quality goes.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081