Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Couple photos *PIC*
Response To:
Re: Couple photos ()

david weaver
A terrible picture, unfortunately, but beautiful knives.

They look a little dirty because I have oil on them.

The left is the wall street knife, I'd have sold it to you before your binge started for original cost ($92), but must admit that the knife you bought is much more of a looker. This wall street knife is the best simple lockback I've ever used (my daily user is a bit dirty, but if it gets a spot of starting discoloration on it, I just buff or polish it off and 3+ years later, I think I'll have it for decades).

I've seen some unfavorable thoughts about the square ends, but I've never noticed any discomfort. If I did ever lose my first one, I'd immediately regret if I ever sold the second.

The cuban stockman (cigar shaped body), I didn't remember - I thought it was micarta or acrylic, but it's red jigged bone. Each blade is perfect in walk and talk, but I've never sharpened it. I think it was only about $110 about the same time (3 years ago).

I looked through my pile, I still have the older queen knife (which doesn't have wondersteel but is a better knife than the D2 version I had), the case stockman, a lockback "rough rider", and two boker stockman knives. (And another tidioute stockman in a container). In the shop, I use two "coast" lockback knives I got from home depot for $15 as a pair, or maybe it was $8. Either way, they are cheap and they make a great tool for scraping handles, etc, in areas where you can't get a card. There's no guilt in zipping them over the belt grinder and buffer to clean them up .

I think you'll find that your tidioute is just about the most ideal hardness for japanese stones, or a washita. Few modern knives are. They're softer. I hesitated to get my first one because I'm so cheap, but I've not heard George Wilson gush about another knife and when I got it (the wall street was my first one), I was boggled that it can be made in the western world at that level of finish for $92. For size reference, it's a bit bigger and quite a lot heavier (due to the handle) than the fallknaven knife, but slim and extremely comfortable in the pocket.

The boker stockman I think was probably sort of a waste even at $22 for the tree brand, and the chinese version was $12. It is surprisingly well made, but the blades are soft. I've ground the sheepsfoot blade on both to work as a marking knife, because I always like to have a marking knife in my pocket walking around the shop (if building something that's not just at the bench). My floor is my "biggest bench", and i hate to get up and down mid work to go fetch a marking knife, and the fixed blade knives aren't quite so safe to just stab in your pocket.

All that said, I really admire the look of the knife you just ordered. The look from above with the blades closed is super. I hope you get one of their best ones (though I've never gotten a bad one).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081