Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Stroke Tester
Response To:
Re: Stroke Tester ()

TomD
I replaced all/most of my ECE plane blades with J. Blue Steel, I think they were. I repalced the block plane with a Hock.

So I gather Brian is saying his harder planes are better as far as finish is concerned on softer woods, not that they wear better? I have the opposite opinion on wear, I am ok on cut. After 40 years, I am not sure it is more than my expectation.

Speaking of soft O1. I have mentioned this before, but here goes. I did a bunch of blades outside, as always, but in very cold weather. Result was a few cracked and I stopped processing. But I got a bunch that were OK, and made one into a Jack Plane. It seemed like a nice plane, and I may have not used it on anything harder than Cherry. I used it with a fair amount of blade projection. One day planing a 2x4, or something similar, I hit a knot like a rock. I looked at the plane, and I had bent a large dent in the blade. Basically, I guess it never really hardened. I had been happily using it like an idiot for a year. Really I expect better powers of observation than that!

Some of you might remember that I bought a Rockwell tester at one point, but that is the one thing I have bought of the sort that turned out to be a boat anchor. To make sure I am hard, I skate a file, but there is sometimes enough oxide on the blade to make that fallible. So far this is the only stark failure I know of. Good lesson, in several directions. For one thing, my not hardened floats don't bother me much any more.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081