Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Super article by Steve Voigt in PW...

John Aniano in Central NJ
Hello Wiley,

Thanks for the kind words, but all bow makers are a bit anal retentive and attention to details is a prerequisite to the craft! Having worked as an engineer for 20 years only makes is worse...

I'll have to measure the pair of ~4-1/2" single bladed coffin smoothers I have. One, a ~1890's (?) Marshall, Glasgow, in beech, is in very nice condition, except for the wedge tips - they seem too short, as per your comments, and a bit mangled. I was thinking that I could attempt to splice (glue) new tips to the wedge to improve them, but honestly, I haven't even sharpened the blade to see how it performs at present. Might be just fine, I don't know.

The other plane, the boxwood one, marked "Matthews" (possibly E. L. Matthews of Baltimore) has a beech wedge from another plane and the blued (burnt!) end of the blade is too narrow, as per comments from Bob Rozieski's site. The mouth opening is a full 1-1/2" and the iron is 1/8" less, so no wedge tips would properly hold the blade and guide chips from the mouth. This plane is in need of both a new blade and a new wedge. I'll have to dig through my small stash of irons to see if anything might work. I think I have a Peugeot Freres blade that I could cut to size.

Since these planes have no chip breakers, is it advisable to close up the mouth with a Dutchman patch? They are small detail planes and would never be used to smooth a large panel. I can see them breaking an edge or beveling a board but not much else, imo.

Small planes (and boxwood tools!) always follow me home and I'd enjoy getting this little Matthews smoother back to useable condition.

John

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081