Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Adhered
Response To:
Not glued, not forged ()

david weaver
Tsunesaburo uses the term glued or adhered for the high speed steel (HAP 40 and SKH 51 - or whatever letters and numbers they use for it) irons that they sell, thus the supposition that it may also be true for the blue 1.

Not that they are glued and then rolled, but the separate layers could be rolled and then glued together as is the case with the high speed steels.

I recall asking george about forge welding when he said the smiths had trouble getting higher carbon steels to forge weld to wrought by hand, and he said that the higher carbon steels are difficult. That may not be an issue with industrial rollers or power hammers, but they wouldn't have been using those at CW in public view, unless they had the type (basically a piece of metal on a long wooden arm) that was used industrially in the 1700s and earlier. I don't recall seeing anything like that.

My experience with V11 is that it's probably similar in edge holding to the tsunesaburo iron, and though the tsunesaburo iron isn't forged, it's better than most forged irons. Clifton's old forged iron is a good comparison. Clifton's "hand forged" iron was a decent iron, but it's never showed much in tests. The tsune iron has much less tendency to hold a wire edge than V11. That may be esoteric, but it's interesting to me (there wouldn't be any sharpening of the tsune on a regular basis on washita, so that's not the reason why).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081