Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Along the same lines...

david weaver
I doubt this will unseat my daily favorite, which is a Tidioute Wall Street knife in 1095. I'd guesstimate hardness about 61 - one of the very few knife makers who does 1095 right these days.

But something that doesn't rust is something I'm missing - especially in lockbacks. Two years ago, I went through a stockman binge and found that of all of the stockman's I bought, I only really liked the case and the tidioute. The others (queen, etc) all had issues. Even the puma had problems - the walk and talk wasn't right and it was righteously hard to open. The case wasn't "great", but it was decent given the fact that it cost $30.

Anyway, the only lockback I got in that binge other than the wharncliffe wall streets was a "rough rider" knife after reading about how well finished they are. Maybe they are, but the folder that I got is not up for lateral anything, and it won't take a decent edge off of natural stones because it's too soft.

I have kitchen knives in VG10, which sharpen *very* well on oilstones, so I'm in for giving this one a try.

(often in rabbit hole discussions hear people say "what do you do when your tidioute folder gets wet or discolored". I buff it, and then the buffer leaves a thin coat of wax on it. If not buffer, dursol - same thing - but dursol is probably not good for a knife that you cut food with from time to time).

FWIW, if someone wanted to do 440C the way friodur does it in razors, it would also be just fine. I guess that costs something (the cryo treatment) and it's not a sexy label to say a knife is 440c.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081