Hand Tools

Subject:
New tools..

david weaver
I would be pleased if new manufacturers would buy some rikizai (pre laminated) material from hitachi - it's made in droves for knives - and make some of their plane irons from it for an upcharge.

I don't suppose they'd ever feel it was worth the effort, but it's rolled out into pre-laminated sheets or bars and either glued together industrially or forge welded by rollers, and I think it needs little more than just to be cut and then heat treated on a given schedule. It makes a better iron than O1 or A2, and better (if we're being honest) than any vintage iron that I've had. It could be made in a hardness range that most can tolerate (low 60s) and still be better than anything offered.

I understand the idea of skilled labor processing of irons is sort of out (except for the part where skilled labor runs surface grinders, etc), but I think the prelaminated material with a published vacuum heat treat schedule makes it possible to produce irons without knowing that much about them. And it tsunesaburo can sell them for $40-$50 through stu tierney's store front, the material cost can't be *that* bad.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081