Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail saw?

david weaver
I'm not sure how much fleam Mike put on, but I had a discussion early on when I was first learning to file and asked him if he thought 5 degrees of fleam on all dovetail saws was something worth doing.

That came up because I was switching from japanese to western saws at the time and wasn't satisfied with the ability of western saws to make a clean cut without stringiness (but a crosscut saw will do that fine).

I think mike was shooting for a milder amount in general, even if Derek's got more, and not something as significant as Harrell's hybrid.

I still don't think it's a bad idea to add fleam to a dovetail saw, but I don't remember to do it and in reality, once you start sharpening your own saws and get them all set up properly, only the carpenter rip saw is one that gets a frequent refresh. Which is nice, because the whole process on a rip saw to refresh is probably less than 5 minutes. (the back side of the cut quality that I was hung up on was similar to getting hung up on microns with sharpening goods - it only seems like it matters, and it rarely does with joinery saws. Maybe not never, but rarely).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081