Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Lie Nielsen or Veritas Dovetail saw? *LINK*

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
Someone can correct me if they have relaxed the rake 5 or 6 degrees.

I replied to this this thread when Lee asked the question on the main forum. My comments there were essentially the same as David's.

I have had the LN 15 tpi dovetail saw for about 15 years, and the IT for close to 10 years. Shortly after receiving it, I wrote a short comparison (link below).

The rake on the LN was close to zero. Mike Wenzloff looked over the IT for me, and commented, "the rake is about 4 degrees or less". He then added fleam to the teeth to help with the brittle woods with which I work. This made a big difference.

A comment made by someone was 'avoid the LV 20 tpi'. I would disagree with this - it really comes down to the wood you are working. For the average 1/2" - 3/4" board of soft to hard woods, the 14 tpi LV is a good choice. However, as you go thinner, and/or the wood becomes harder and more brittle, you will benefit from a higher tooth count. A comparison may be made with using a high-tooth Japanese saw. These leave a smoother cut, but more so, they do not bind or chip as much as a saw with 15 tpi and less.

When Mike added fleam to my IT, it effectively reduced the chopping effect of the rip teeth by giving it something a little closer to a crosscut tooth.

Comparing the LN #15 tpi with close-to-zero rake and a LV #14 tpi with 14 degrees of rake is a bit like apples and oranges. For the experienced sawyer, either will do the job very well. It will come down to looks, which is personal, or cost, where the LV is much cheaper. What the experienced sawyer will notice is the LN cuts more aggressively and a lighter touch will make it start easily; while the LV will start easily but saw a little less aggressively (note that the lower tooth count on the LV offer it a little more aggression than if it had simply been 15 tpi).

Both are excellent saws that will not disappoint.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081