Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Whelan planemaking book?

david weaver
Side escapement planes aren't really roughing planes except for moving fillisters and rabbet planes.

I think there was little made in double iron planes for two reasons:
1) the functionality of the planes - matching soles, etc. Are you going to reprofile the cap iron when the sole gets out of whack and you reprofile it? You'd get stuck profiling the sole to the cap, and that's something I wouldn't have trouble with, but there's also an issue in making that functionality - affixing a double iron in a small plane either requires a tiny slotted iron (like the wonderful double iron ulmia rabbet plane) or coordinating loose iron and cap irons (which most users are probably not capable of).
2) More importantly, little other than the finishing parts of the cut is done with a hollow plane in most cases (you step out a profile with plow, rabbet, etc), and you try to do it with perfect wood because it's cheaper to do that than it is to try to make a half set of hollow and round planes with a double iron

That said, I've gotten (from enthusiasts) a couple of massive moulding plane blade combos from japan where both the iron and cap iron are laminated. The cap is not like what you see in a kanna, but rather very thick, like a mirror of the iron. Both tapered and loose. I've never troubled to build a plane with one. I'm sure they'd work well, but 1 and 2 above preside.

In terms of the single iron planes at williamsburg, the answer to that is simple. The curators didn't feel that double iron planes were common enough in williamsburg in the late 18th century, so they don't allow them. That's a decision made at the curator level, and not at the functional cabinetmaker level. (You know where I got that information, of course - George - because George is so knowledgeable about just about everything he does, and I was curious how he missed the double iron thing. The answer was simple, he flat out wasn't allowed to use them at work, so he didn't spend much time on it).

Functionally, though. It's no contest. I would like to have an event where any and all very fit comers can dimension 5 board feet of wood against me to a mark or thickness spec with the condition it be suitable for finish or suitable enough that a light scraping would finish it once done with the planes. They use any single iron plane they want (larry's would be fine), and my fat desk-worker out of shape rear will take them on with planes I've made. It would be an easy contest - I'd win. It's like being a fat desk worker and riding a road bike on the local loop here vs. the very fit mountain bike riders that I see. I can see their cadence speeding up when they hear me coming, but despite their superior physical condition, they have no chance - I pass them easily - too much static friction and the wrong riding position for road speed. My tool in that case is more suited to the job.

At any rate, that kind of difference becomes an economic differentiator, and when you're working without much profit, an economic differentiator puts a non-adopter out of business. Thus, the single iron planes in all but econo trim disappeared (not sure who the target customer was for the low price single iron planes that stayed in catalogs, but I am by no means any kind of historian at all, so it's no surprise that I don't know that).

Messages In This Thread

Whelan planemaking book?
Can't answer about the Whelan book
Thanks (NM) *NM*
Re: Whelan planemaking book? *LINK*
Whelan planemaking book?
Nice Article!
Re: Nice Article!
Dimensioning: Question about roughing planes
Re: Dimensioning: Question about roughing planes
Do you profile your cap irons?
Re: Do you profile your cap irons?
Nicholson
Fun with math
Where did the ball go?
Re: Where did the ball go?
Focussing on the key point
Re: Focussing on the key point
(Message Deleted by Poster)
(Message Deleted by Poster)
No worries *NM*
Reference: Peter Nicholson, 'The Mechanic's Compa
Peter Nicholson plate XII, pages 91 to 93 *NM*
Re: Reference: Peter Nicholson, 'The Mechanic's C
Re: Reference: Peter Nicholson, 'The Mechanic's C
Re: Reference: paragraphs 3 and 4 *PIC*
Re: Reference: paragraphs 3 and 4
Errors or suboptimal statements in books
Everybody makes mistakes
Re: Everybody makes mistakes
Things that can be out of date, too
Re: What is the title
Re: What is the title
Thanks Patrick *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081