Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: we don't even think

david weaver
People in my generation don't think that hard as far as I know, and the successful folks (like two attorneys or two doctors) spend money on the house first and furniture second if the house didn't drain their wallet.

When they do get furniture, they often allow a designer at a mid-range furniture store (read, one where couches are $3k instead of $500) pick the furniture and coordinate their house.

In terms of wooden, I've seen only shabby chic (as you describe, paint over it, whatever it is) and lighter colored (unstained) furniture with metal parts mixed into the design.

If it doesn't fall into that category, it's whatever is cheapest or something at Ikea if those two aren't the same thing.

I'm 40, and a little older than a millenial. The thing millenials are now is protective of their time (less extra hours at work), and they don't want as much "stuff" as people in the generation prior to mine wanted. It's common for us to have friends who spend $200 on dinner regularly, and that kind of spending would probably keep me from retiring before 65 (they "do better" than my wife and i). They do things like work overseas for a stint and take on debt to do it as an adventure, and certainly don't want to have a home base full of stuff they have to think about.

For my parents' generation, it was more of a status thing to be able to have a big house and fill it with nice furniture. Now it's more of a status thing to put yourself out there as someone with a perfect life and who is experiencing new things every day (and putting up pictures to show everyone).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081