Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: A knife for what purpose, Wiley?

Wiley Horne--So. Calif.
Hi Derek and all,

Ordinary pocket knife. Lemme see what I do with it, just off the top,

1. Cut the morning paper out of its plastic wrap.

2. Head back the rose bushes, and cut creeping vines out of things.

3. Open Amazon Prime packages (lots of 'em).

4. Dig into the earth at plant borders, to put in cuttings, or replant cuttings my little dog ran over chasing around the fenced yard trying to get at the garbage truck or UPS guy or mail dude. [Digging in the ground gives rise to frequent resharpening].

5. Letter opener.

6. Cut insulation off of electrical wires I'm fixing to twist together.

7. Get splinters out of my fingers.

8. Etc etc

Here's the thing. Right now I do this with a Puma stockman with the usual 3-blade setup. I got the Puma as a cosmetic blem off of EBay, because I like that they hardness test them, tell you the Rc number, and show the dent the tester made. But the knife dulls fairly quickly, probably due to my abuse; the
Main blade is less than tight; it talks but doesn't walk, and though I don't need a lock back this main blade is loose enough that it'll rebound out of position and back toward my fingers sometimes when I'm cutting a hard whip with it.

And mainly, I like to be able to put a chisel sharp edge on any blade without much trouble. Test: Blade should slide into unsupported newsprint. Chisels and planeblades do it without a lot of detailing; knife requires lots of piddling around to get the same sharp. So a single bevel blade would be easiest; a Wharncliffe next--think I'll get a Wharncliffe.

Different subject: I'd love a multi tool that had a pruning saw, a knife, a 5 or 6 inch parallel wrench, diagonal cutter, Phillips #2 and straight slot, and needle nose pliers.

Different subject #2: Love them Knipex ratchet wrenches, but you do have to get the whole set of three. Why? The middle wrench (10") opens to 1-3/4" and so it won't get around the ~2" nuts that hold together 1-1/2" plumbing tubes. DAMHIKT.

Over and out, to copy John Aniano.

Wiley

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081