Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Whelan planemaking book?

TomD
"I also would like to better understand the process of making mortised bench planes, to evaluate whether I want to do that. I would be using hand tools for all but initial stock sizing, and am willing to invest in learning new ones (for example, side and edge floats)"

In that case, you might want to look at David's video's he has gone into a lot of detail, and had a good teacher. I couldn't sit through them as I have been down this trail since the 70s or 80s, but I feel it would be good for me because certain aspects of the English are still a little vague as regards the the points of the wedge. Though looking at antiques, any one approach doesn't seem universal. Maybe David could insert a link.

If you break the tasks down, in either Japanese or Western planes, the basic structure is similar. There are two intersecting ramps that need to be formed from the block. This is power mortising, but of an easy kind, since forming ramps is a part of mortise joints, while the trickier part of squaring the hole's bottom is absent. It pays to have a hammer of at least 20 ounces, or whatever you can best handle, and a chisel built like a railway spike, no narrow shoulders. You want to start at the same angles as you finish with, but maybe a little flatter. You can sight this from your layout lines. A firm surface to whack on, like a good bench, beam, or floor will add to the efficiency of the process. Getting a 2x4 and practicing would speed up the learning.

Most people worry about getting the ramp the correct angle, and flat/curved. This is actually the easy part, you work it from the bottom/mouth as well as from the top, so once that plane is made flat, it will be correct to the layout lines. One difficulty is what to do when you get close, how to perfect the last of the end grain, and how to make it pretty. You can make some great planes that aren't that pretty. But the reintroduction of the special tools from the plane maker's toolbox, like floats, have zeroed out the skill required. A practice exercise is to get a good maple 2x2 and pare the end grain flat, then draw a new line around it and eighth lower, and pare that flat. One soon gets the idea.

Working the abutments is pretty easy also. I have used a variety of workshop tools like the LV flush trim Ryobi, or hack saws. Eventually I bought a purpose built saw, it becomes trivial. You are working a slash dado that is the size of a pencil, it does pay to get the initial saw cut correct, but a variety of expensive, though available floats can make anyone an expert.

As with most things in the return to classic woodworking, it was only difficult when we didn't have a road map, and when there weren't any available tools. Early articles came with instructions on how to built floats... With at least some of the right tools, and you don't need all of them, it is a pretty easy project. There is a lot less wood to remove than in one drawer corner dovetail, so long as one goes about it efficiently. I don't own any floats myself, other than a few I half made. So it isn't necessary unless you want to have the full experience, it would certainly make getting some of the crisp details easier.

Messages In This Thread

Whelan planemaking book?
Can't answer about the Whelan book
Thanks (NM) *NM*
Re: Whelan planemaking book? *LINK*
Whelan planemaking book?
Nice Article!
Re: Nice Article!
Dimensioning: Question about roughing planes
Re: Dimensioning: Question about roughing planes
Do you profile your cap irons?
Re: Do you profile your cap irons?
Nicholson
Fun with math
Where did the ball go?
Re: Where did the ball go?
Focussing on the key point
Re: Focussing on the key point
(Message Deleted by Poster)
(Message Deleted by Poster)
No worries *NM*
Reference: Peter Nicholson, 'The Mechanic's Compa
Peter Nicholson plate XII, pages 91 to 93 *NM*
Re: Reference: Peter Nicholson, 'The Mechanic's C
Re: Reference: Peter Nicholson, 'The Mechanic's C
Re: Reference: paragraphs 3 and 4 *PIC*
Re: Reference: paragraphs 3 and 4
Errors or suboptimal statements in books
Everybody makes mistakes
Re: Everybody makes mistakes
Things that can be out of date, too
Re: What is the title
Re: What is the title
Thanks Patrick *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081