Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Steels and their places

david weaver
You mean the scratch patterns on the razors? They are an entirely different thing than tools because you can't hone with pressure. The bevel angle is about 16 degrees. Plus, the bevel has been sharpened with natural stones, so there is no scratch uniformity like you'd see with synthetic pastes of powders. The concentration on a razor is edge only, the bevel is relatively meaningless unless what's on it transfers to the edge (which will happen with deep damaging scratches, but not really shallow ones.

As far as the shave from that edge went, it was at the upper end of comfortable and would benefit from a trip across a linen (which will wear it and round it a little bit). Nobody is woodworking with an edge as sharp as that one.

The other thing about the scratches is that they are coticule particle scratches, which are about the shallowest grooves you can find. A 7 micron coticule scratch is probably not as deep as a 1 micron shapton particle, and the edge is smoother with them. In terms of the sigma (I have used it on a razor), it is not capable of an edge as good as this one when it comes to a razor. For a more blunt edge, like 28 degrees or something on a chisel, the same edge wouldn't be achieved because we wouldn't take the time. More pressure with the coticule would result in deeper scratches from the ball shaped abrasive particles. This is what I mean when I talk about the natural stones having a much wider range or some dimension.

I've got some chisel pictures coming.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081