Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: We will be going 100% sharpening perv...

david weaver
surface tensioned saws are definitely harder on the surface - something is going on there. Jonathan McCullough knows I like Woodrough and McP saws, so he sent me a rusty one a couple of months ago. I tried a scotchbrite wheel on it just for something new, and completely removed the rust. I also completely removed the tension doing that (not from heat, but because the deburring wheel took the surface off and I'm speculating here, but I'll bet the work of the rollers all existed in what I took off). It was like a rag after that and I had to rehammer it.

What's on the surface isn't a good indicator of what's in the saw.

I supposed at the time that argument first came up that anything even 52 becomes undesirable to sharpen. The woodrough and McP saws are a little bit harder (that includes the saw after the surface was ground off - the core is still hard) than disstons and they are really hard on files, to the point that using a couple of disston mexico files resulted in dead mexico files. Quickly.

Not very practical. I had a saw once that must've been a reject, too. A #7. It had a straw color, I don't know what the issue was with it. Nobody ever tried to file it and the crosscut teeth were original (including a large amount of set) and worn rounded on the tip. I guess someone else may have tried to file it and gave up. vintage simonds double cut would file it just a tiny bit. It burnished the teeth on single cut files right away. A real downer. I had to throw it away. I got it from the late great walt quadrato, and I doubt he knew it was a dud. By the time I figured it out, I just had to throw it away. It was marked with a run of the mill #7 etch, still no clue about that one. I'd bet upper 50s by the color of the plate - completely unmanageable, and still puzzling how it was tempered to straw and then the straw was still on it. Could someone have rehardened it successfully? It seems unlikely, but how would it still have straw color and not have been finished to have the tempering colors removed.

Long story short, knowing the hardness of the file and then filing teeth with it is probably the best way to judge hardness after a piece of properly tested untensioned reference plate is checked.

Messages In This Thread

We will be going 100% sharpening perv...
what microscope?
Re: what microscope?
Evaluation
Re: Evaluation
oops..
Re: oops..
This thread has more tangents than...
Re: This thread has more tangents than...
But...
Re: But...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081