Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: We will be going 100% sharpening perv...

david weaver
My sister is a baby photographer. Just my opinion, but I think she probably doesn't need what she buys, except for the ancillary equipment, as you mention.

I don't think the elephant is part of her stuff (haven't seen her stuff in a while, so went out and looked since this topic came up)

http://www.christinehsiehphotography.com/

"arranging the babies" properly and making sure the light is good is probably a lot more important than the camera. (not throwing her out there as a photography expert, either - I think the guys who hang upside down from running helicopters to take action shots probably think family photographers are the bob ross of the picture world, but my sister is a tough nut, so I'm not about to say that to her - the response would be something that would make freddie roach proud).

My level of high end spending on cameras is limited to whatever compact (but not credit card size) camera panasonic had three years ago (those come in around $150 but at least have a decent optical zoom). I think my current camera is an FZ35. I have to admit that I don't remember the last time I used it because the phone cameras seem better than it is (on a good phone, at least). I'm tempted to take some pictures with it and see how much I can see.

(I still have one chosera, but like the shaptons better - they craze less. I don't like what naniwa told us about needing to discontinue the chosera series and replacing it with "professional" because they still sell the chosera in japan for less than it ever was here - it's still expensive for what it is, though, and I'm sure it was more here because there's an extra layer of distribution. I think in about 6 or 7 years of mostly using the shapton pros, I used about a millimeter off of one, but I never lapped stones that often). Even an easy suita stone is harder to use than a shapton, so once you go to natural stones, coming back to shaptons makes them feel stick-free.

Maybe more interesting than modern stone offerings is the vintage synthetic stones I've fished out of japan - some of them much more like natural stones, and I've also managed to find india stones over there that are probably about 3 or 4 microns (norton had an extra fine at one time, but I have never seen one new).

Messages In This Thread

We will be going 100% sharpening perv...
what microscope?
Re: what microscope?
Evaluation
Re: Evaluation
oops..
Re: oops..
This thread has more tangents than...
Re: This thread has more tangents than...
But...
Re: But...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081