Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: We will be going 100% sharpening perv...

david weaver
The trouble with SEMs is they show such a small cross section that people get confused with what they're looking at. There's nothing that you can't see with visible light that matters in steel sharpness because, well, the level that the edge is held is not any finer than that.

There was a big to-do last year maybe when someone opened a sharpening blog and posted SEM pictures, but I don't think anyone who was interested in sharpening really learned too much.

My interest is a bit more specific, at least as far as this thing goes (because the other $11 scope could tell me if an edge had damage or was subpar quality in that stropping removed large chunks). It's to see what creates a finished edge with various stones, because sharpening a razor is a bit different with different stones. You can use the finest hardest japanese stones and as long as you finish the edge on a decent razor, it's sharp. However, you can also get to about the same level of sharpness with coarser stones, but you can go past the point of maximum sharpness and create a fragile edge with them.

I think this isn't useful for woodworking, but I'm curious, because if you can find the happy medium with a given setup (which an experienced barber with only a couple of stones would find out by trial and error), you can get a very good edge very quickly.

I'm doing most of my examination looking, so the items you're talking about don't seem as relevant to me ( I gather what you're saying, if you can get a high enough resolution image, you can zoom in ). Most of the time that I'm looking at something, though, it'll just be through the binocular eyepieces on the scope.

600x, though, is too much (surprisingly) because no edge really looks that good at that magnification. It may not be too much for pictures, but I'm not sure. I didn't get a very good camera with mine because the scope mounted cameras are expensive, and the pictures are secondary (but might be interesting).

Messages In This Thread

We will be going 100% sharpening perv...
what microscope?
Re: what microscope?
Evaluation
Re: Evaluation
oops..
Re: oops..
This thread has more tangents than...
Re: This thread has more tangents than...
But...
Re: But...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081