Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: We will be going 100% sharpening perv...

david weaver
Am I correct that you're looking for the answer of what shows up on the digital image, and not what you see with the naked eye?

The scope is 600x max, which I thought would be too little, but that's actually too high of magnification. I haven't hooked up the camera yet, so I can't really answer the question of how much distance is covered from edge to edge in the picture.

I understand the 1.3MP picture is 1280x1024, but until I find out how much territory the image actually covers, no clue about what will be shown in the picture.

My needs are simpler. I can see whether or not an edge has damage with my old scope (a razor edge). I would guess at this point that the old one was probably 100x or so, despite its claim of 500x. It can't quite get a clear image at 100x, and 500 is probably a digital zoom, which only worsens that problem unless I'm missing something. I just want to get a little closer to see the difference between whats at the very edge when a coticule was used and what's at the very edge when a very slow japanese natural finisher is used. I might take pictures of synthetics, but my interest in them for anything other than coarse work is pretty much long gone (and coarse work on razors is still better done with naturals).

How this will apply to woodworking, it probably won't, and there's definitely a danger of looking at things at 600x and drawing invalid conclusions. I have seen other peoples' pictures of 800x edges, and everything that you can use to sharpen something looks terrible at that when viewing a razor - looks like the edge of a mountain ridge with undulations, etc.

Not sure where visible light cuts off, either - half a micron? Chromium oxide razor edges always look spectacular under a microscope, but they feel only scarcely sharper than the best natural stones, and functionally not even that sometimes - just the same.

I am completely ignorant when it comes to talking about this stuff above "looks good" or "doesn't" or "blurry" or "clear". And when it comes to cameras, even worse so, despite having a sister who is a professional photographer with about the same spending sense as i have with tools...actually, she's far worse.

Messages In This Thread

We will be going 100% sharpening perv...
what microscope?
Re: what microscope?
Evaluation
Re: Evaluation
oops..
Re: oops..
This thread has more tangents than...
Re: This thread has more tangents than...
But...
Re: But...
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081