Hand Tools

Subject:
Router plane for tenons, nothing new

Bill Houghton, Sebastopol, CA
I was reading the Popular Mechanics' "Shopnotes" from 1920, and a little article describes rough-cutting tenons (to within about 1/16", they recommend), then gang-clamping identical pieces of stock (for instance, the stretchers and/or aprons for a table) to the bench end-to-end, with the tenons butting. The illustration shows four pieces of stock - two side by side, with the two pairs butting at the tenons. Then, says the article, you can use a router plane to smooth all four tenons to final dimension.

Nice plan: no need to find a block of wood to support the outboard side of the router plane, and you can work all the matching pieces at once.

I haven't followed the various conversations about using a router plane on tenons, so this may already have been suggested here or elsewhere; but, if so, it's following on a nearly century-old idea.
-----
Digressing: several pages later, there's an article with an excited discussion of a portable machinist's toolbox. The illustration shows a mechanic's rollaway and top box, although the rollaway is enough wider than the top box to accommodate a metalworking vise on one end. Brilliant idea, a portable toolbox like that...I wonder if I could find somebody that makes such a thing?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081