Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: West Australian Woodshow 2017

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
William, I don't always agree with some of the decisions made by the judges. I know what their criteria are for the competition generally, but I would really like to read how they marked each piece individually. There could be a valuable learning area.

For the past few years I have missed out on even a place. Although my Lingerie Chest was voted Best Overall by the members of the club last year, the judges did not give it vote it above (what I considered were) three not-as-good pieces. Before this my copy of Hans Wegner's The Chair did not even rate a place .. yet was voted first place for chairs last year in the Pop Wood competition. This is not sour grapes (well, maybe a little), but I would have liked at the time to have known why they did not do as well as I thought they could. I suspect that others must feel this way as well about their contributions.

I think I am now in a position to suggest that judges provide feedback on the pieces they score. I think that this information would be helpful to all who entered, and all who have aspirations of improving their standards. What do you think?

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081