Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: What was your point?
Response To:
What was your point? ()

david weaver
When it comes to commodity guitars, last I saw, most are put together with standard glue (the manufacturer isn't thinking about a guy 50 years from now repairing them, and you can still repair them, anyway, it just might take a lot more work).

When it comes to most furniture, someone building a bookcase isn't going to care that much about what glue was used to laminate the panels.

When it comes to building something that needs to be authentic, that you want to be repairable long after you're gone, and that you want a stable glue joint on, then I don't use anything less fixable than liquid hide glue. I wouldn't use TB if I was making chairs, either. If someone else does, that's fine, but I have repaired enough chairs made with it to know that it's not ideal, despite the fact that you may be able to put a test together to show that you can get a one-day old joint to bond in a specific situation. It just doesn't negate the dozen or so chairs that I've seen that were both poor design and cheap yellow glue - repaired and failed over and over before they get to me and I strip everything back to at least some wood contact.

I gather that part of warren's work is repairing things professionally. There is some level of resolution that comes from that that we won't get making pieces for us or for us and a few people, and repairing things for friends from time to time.

I know you have a lot of time invested in going back and forth with franklin and examining these glues, but I can't help but feel you'd have been better off from the start if you'd have just learned the various protein based glues and stuck with them.

I don't think it's anything to get mad about, either, or get frustrated when people rely on general sentiment to stick with something that didn't need to be changed in the first place (other than for cost and convenience). Certainly, if you said you had a workshop that was 50 degrees and you were tossing together commodity pieces, I wouldn't suggest that you set up a liquid hide glue gluing station instead of using a modern adhesive that will still cure properly at 50 degrees. The same time, i wouldn't use something inferior just because you can get by with it, and titebond is inferior as a long-term glue unless something is exposed to steam or moisture all the time (even that can be worked around with hide glue).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081