Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: planing long thin strips-how to hold?

TomD
I have done hundreds of strips for this, I even made a special bench, though that was completely unnecessary. I hand plane strips for canoes, bow limbs (tapered), battens for sails, parts for guitars.

I just hammer in a nail with a slight angle away from the pull, clip the head off, and then I press the strip onto the nail head.

With some projects like bamboo rod strips, I just hold the strip with my off hand, and sorta scuttle hand over hand, at least to get it started. Some guys use a toggle clamp once the end has been worked.

If for some reason a huge amount of force is require, I use a plug cutter to cut a hole through the strip, this leaves bevelled edges. I use a screw, adjusted so it will not strike the blade, I use bronze. Because the screw head an hole interlock, it is very solid.

On some projects like tapered battens a certain part will not be planed. In that case I use a rope and wedge, such that the planing force pulls the rope tight and the wedge jams the strip.

For certain products that buckle, but so far not strips, I use a vacuum jig.

In many of these projects I use runners on the plane so I get a perfectly dimensioned strip to the thou, with zero effort.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081