Hand Tools

Subject:
Not to the level of Bill's picture..

david weaver
..but several years ago, I bought a dissection scope as well as a regular microscope and a cheap digital scope (cheap like $12).

The $12 scope is the one that I've gotten the most use out of. The dissection scope works well, but at 25x, it's just not strong enough to really see much - especially when you compare something like an edge done with natural stones and one done with shaptons or something - the harsh cutting oxide stones still look like a shiny mirror.

What really matters with the pictures is the shape of the edge and its condition, and not necessarily how small the scratches look on the bevel (I guess that's obvious), but the bevel is easier to look at and I mistakenly thought that I could use the scratches on it to judge the actual quality of the edges.

I found that stray scratches from natural stones were larger and more prominent, but they must've been shallower because the edges I got with them were more uniform along their length.

At any rate - not directed at bill or Brian - I think the inexpensive digital scopes with built in lighting are the easiest to use, because you can create some sort of mount for them (at that price, the base that comes with them sucks) and then view the adjustment of the picture in real time on your computer screen and just capture the screen image when it's what you want. Lighting is difficult because of the reflectivity, of course.

Alex Gilmore has a much more expensive scope set up, but it wasn't worth it to me to find out what I was looking at for the price a scope like his would cost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW1HSBQyrzE

Cheap imported dissection scopes are about $50 (hard to get a picture from them, though - even if you could ramp up the magnification with a replacement eye piece).

This is similar to the scope I got. It is *very* limited, but it will get you a picture of an edge that is perhaps half as clear as Bill's - maybe more if you fiddle with it. It's clear enough to tell what's going on (I think they are more like 100x than whatever number they claim).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-New-8-LED-Digital-500X-Microscope-2MP-Zoom-Endoscope-PC-Camera-Magnifier/382037723375?_trksid=p2045573.c100505.m3226&_trkparms=aid%3D555014%26algo%3DPL.DEFAULT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Dd97371d972e74c4ab3f4275ad9a3dc05%26pid%3D100505%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26

Messages In This Thread

Criteria for deciding when to sharpen
Re: Criteria for deciding when to sharpen
Hey, I'm good!
Re: Hey, I'm good!
Simple experiment
Agree, except....
Re: Agree, except....
Re: Agree, except....
Question
Re: Question
Amen to that statement
Re: Question
What's the downside of oversharpening?
Re: What's the downside of oversharpening?
I find it curious.....
Re: I find it curious.....
disassemble?
Re: disassemble?
Some provocative thoughts there
Re: Some provocative thoughts there
an experiment
Re: an experiment
Re: Some provocative thoughts there
Testing the edge
Agree. I look instead of test
Re: Agree. I look instead of test
microscope examination *PIC*
Re: microscope examination
Not to the level of Bill's picture..
Re: Not to the level of Bill's picture..
Re: it might be a case... *PIC*
Re: it might be a case...
Pictures from the $12 scope
Re: Pictures from the $12 scope
Re: Pictures from the $12 scope *PIC*
lighting is everything *PIC*
Robt. Sorby..
Re: Robt. Sorby..
Re: Robt. Sorby..
Brand for a quality 10x loupe? *NM*
BelOMO 10x Triplet Loupe
agree *NM*
Re: Agree. I look instead of test
Re: The instructors of beginners...
Maybe they lack curiosity *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081