Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: without..
Response To:
Re: without.. ()

david weaver
FTR, I made the comment in my original post about some enthusiasts calling the later planes junk, but it definitely was not you that I have in mind (though I remember reading your site and seeing the comment about the performance of the planes once they dull).

With stanley planes, the key to having them work as the iron moves along the wear profile is keeping the cap iron set properly. They will stay in the cut without influence much further into the sharpening cycle with the double iron set.

I have made other infills with tight mouths, but I'm going a different direction now to some extent to make sure I can use the double iron (norris's double iron is a lovely design - just like the old ward cap irons).

I'm always interested in how the double iron has actually been used - the evidence for some of the older and tighter infills is that it may not have been used in those planes as there is a need to file the top side of the mouth to use the cap iron, and I don't think most users will be willing to do that (and some who are will do it in a sloppy way). That way, the cap can be used without opening the mouth, but both the filing and the shape of the cap iron have to agree with that (it takes a long shallow cap iron with a rounded front, like the ward design).

Agree on the later irons - they appear in pictures to be dropped on a rotary grinder with coarse marks left in them. This replacement iron is only about as hard as a stanley iron (no problem to me), I'll be curious to see what the later norris marked irons are like. The ward parallel iron in my earlier norris-made buck plane is a work of art - nicely finished and just at the upper edge of what someone using oilstones would tolerate. I'd like to have 10 of them for future planes, but each time I've seen one sell, they go for huge amounts (the taper irons can be had reasonable, often for $40 for a nice double iron set, but the parallel irons that I've seen - even with some damage - have gone over $100). It's not hard to make irons, though, I just think a ward iron looks nicer in a house-made plane than a plain iron that I'd cut and file out of O1 stock.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081