Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Setting the cap iron
Response To:
Re: Setting the cap iron ()

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)
I have Never been able to set the cap iron on my Norris A5 as hair-splittingly close as then Kato video would seem to suggest. If I do, other cap iron chokes the mouth of then plane and everything comes to a halt. I set it back about 1/16" to 3/32" from the edge and still get excellent results. My Norris isn my go-to smoother; I get better results from it than I do from by Stanleys with the cap irons set close.

Hank, I wonder what the shape of the leading edge of the cap iron is like - rounded, sharpish? Have you increased its angle?

I was surprised to find that the cap iron worked so well on my Spier since the mouth is quite tight. I suspect that the slightly higher bed (47 1/2 degrees) offers a little leeway, that is, the cap iron does not need to be quite as close as a plane with a common angle (45 degree) bed.

The Veritas Custom #4 has a 40 degree bed, and the leading edge of the cap iron is 50 degrees. I am thinking of increasing this to 55- or 60 degrees as it requires that the distance is a little less than a common angle frog of either a LN #3 or a Stanley #3, both of which have 50 degree leading edges.

I am still surprised when I read of others setting the cap iron about 0.1mm from the edge of a blade. If I did this, all I would experience is a plane struggling to cut and creating very concertina-like shavings. Generally, I find somewhere around 0.3 - 0.4mm works on my smoothers when taking fine shavings. A smidgeon more if using the jointer and taking thicker shavings.

Regards from Perth

Derek

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081