Hand Tools

Subject:
I find it curious.....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.
....that all the responses from experienced planers have been that the need to sharpen has been revealed by some tactile signal, if I understood correctly. So far nobody has said that they look at the edge and if it looks too worn they sharpen.

I asked Brain if he can see that the edge is worn before sharpening and he replied a definite yes. My planing sessions as so short and separated in time that I don't think I will ever develop the tactile signals that persons who plane a lot develop the ability to detect.

If I used just one plane I might acquire the discipline to sharpen before every time I used it (or some such regimen). For example:Son-in-law visited this weekend. He is wanting to learn woodworking. He has good hands and the patience of Job, so he can be good at it. Our goal was to build a set of shelves for my daughter to fit in a particular part of her kitchen. I used a low angle block plane to smooth the band saw cut on the arced shelves, a #5 to shoot an end grain that came out not quite perfect square from the saw, a regular block to chamfer an edge, and a couple other planes for specific tasks I can't remember. He left after 2 days with a set of shelves that only required one additional coat of wipe on varnish and he did most of the work as a training experience.

The only plane used for more than a minute was the low angle block and in the end I could feel it getting dull, I think. Who knows what it had been used for before hand, but it went on the schedule to sharpen when it's convenient to do so.

I am thinking the best signal for me is to look at the blade. I can certainly see a blade getting ever duller because the wear bevel gets larger. In spite of your all best efforts I have not been convinced that your sharpening regime will work for me. I'm going to begin evaluating the "look at the edge" approach. I think it will give me an early warning that the need to sharpen is approaching. Come to think of it that is what I am already doing with chisels, which I use way more often.

Messages In This Thread

Criteria for deciding when to sharpen
Re: Criteria for deciding when to sharpen
Hey, I'm good!
Re: Hey, I'm good!
Simple experiment
Agree, except....
Re: Agree, except....
Re: Agree, except....
Question
Re: Question
Amen to that statement
Re: Question
What's the downside of oversharpening?
Re: What's the downside of oversharpening?
I find it curious.....
Re: I find it curious.....
disassemble?
Re: disassemble?
Some provocative thoughts there
Re: Some provocative thoughts there
an experiment
Re: an experiment
Re: Some provocative thoughts there
Testing the edge
Agree. I look instead of test
Re: Agree. I look instead of test
microscope examination *PIC*
Re: microscope examination
Not to the level of Bill's picture..
Re: Not to the level of Bill's picture..
Re: it might be a case... *PIC*
Re: it might be a case...
Pictures from the $12 scope
Re: Pictures from the $12 scope
Re: Pictures from the $12 scope *PIC*
lighting is everything *PIC*
Robt. Sorby..
Re: Robt. Sorby..
Re: Robt. Sorby..
Re: Agree. I look instead of test
Re: The instructors of beginners...
Maybe they lack curiosity *NM*
© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081