Hand Tools

Subject:
Re: Does anyone know....

Warren in Lancaster, PA
Thanks for the video, Kees. I don't think speed was a factor in the tests. Interestingly, the test planing machine was able to lift the sample away from the plane on the return stroke, something Tesolin was unable to do. Also the machine in the video seemed to be planing real wood.

Several places I have read the claim that they made 1.6 miles of shavings with the plane irons and chopped through 10 feet of "oak" in order to complete their tests. Maybe this sounds like an awful lot of testing to some, but I have sometimes planed two miles in a day's work. I tested a 19th century chisel, chopping through 10 feet of walnut in one hour, after which it still cut pine end grain nicely. Two weeks ago I had to chop through six feet of white oak end grain; I did so without sharpening and afterwards the edge was still in good shape. There were no chips visible with a 30X loupe.

As others have suggested, we are probably getting an infomercial picture of the testing. Lots of considerations were not shared with the public. (Did they disqualify any steel that did not machine well, for instance). Lots of our questions went unanswered. I wonder about the real hand woodworking experience of the testers. I think Kees' tests have been more helpful, even though he is an amateur woodworker with much less time and budget than the Veritas people.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081